This to die for recipe is a family favorite and super delicious. We have it about once a month and I freeze the rest. I like to add hot italian sausages to it on occasion as well.
1 lb of Ground Beef
4-5 Cloves of Garlic
1 Large Onion
2 Large Cans of Diced Tomatoes
2 Small Cans of Tomatoe Paste
1 Cup of Water
1 Green Pepper
1 Carrot (finely chopped)
1 Stalk of Celery (Finely Chopped)
1 tbsp of Brown Sugar
1 heaping Tablespoon of Oregano
11/2 tsp of Thyme
1 tsp of Salt
1 tsp of Pepper
2 Bay Leaves
1 pd. Mushrooms
- Add EVOO to large dutch oven. Saute Garlic, add ground beef and brown.
- Add Onions, simmer for a few minutes but not too long.
- Drain fat from mixture
- Add Tomatoes (with juice) and Tomatoe Paste and 1 cup of water to pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add Vegetables and Spices.
- Simmer on a very low heat for no less than 2 hours. This is not a mix and serve recipe as the spaghetti sauce gets better as the spices intermingle with the veggies.
- Add mushrooms about 45 minutes before serving.
For a nice variation, cut Italian Sausages into three, brown them while making your sauce, and put into sauce to simmer and cook. YUM!