“I am resigning from Sesame Workshop with a very heavy heart,” Clash, 52, said in a statement. “Personal matters have diverted attention away from the important work Sesame Street is doing and I cannot allow it to go on any longer.”
Applauding Clash for his years of service in children’s television, Sesame Workshop issued a statement immediately following Clash’s resignation, “Unfortunately, the controversy surrounding Kevin’s personal life has become a distraction that none of us want,” the statement said. “This is a sad day for Sesame Street.”
Last week the online gossip site TMZ reported that a man accused Clash in June of having sex with him at age 16. The man later recanted his story. However, almost immediately a second person came forward with the same allegations of Clash luring him into underage sexual activity. According to a lawsuit filed on November 20, 2012, Cecile Singleton claims to have met the then 32-year-old puppeteer in a gay chat room when we was 15.
Will Elmo Still Live On?
I’m sure Sesame Street will find another puppeteer and life will go on as normal on the street. However, Kevin Clash IS Elmo. His spirit and compassion brought Elmo to life making this furry friend a wonderful example for our children.
I choose not to judge Clash in either allegation simply because the more notoriety one has, the more susceptible they are to finger pointing of any nature. He has been accused but hasn’t been proven guilty by any means.
For myself, like any legendary voice over, Elmo will never be the same without Kevin Clash. You will be deeply missed.