Walmart Canada today announced its list of the top 20 must- have toys for the 2012 holiday season. All items on the list were selected based on feedback the retailer collected from kids and parents at the Great Big Toy Testing Event.
The list includes toys for kids of all ages, starting from eight months, and represents the latest toy trends, including educational, kid-friendly tablets and apps, crafting and construction, electronic, budget-friendly and movie-related toys. The toys were evaluated based on a number of criteria including educational value, age appropriateness, ease of use, how the child reacted to the toy, and if mom and dad like it.
“We’re proud to say our Top 20 Toy list is ‘kid tested and mom approved,'” said Cheri Anthony, director of merchandising for toys at Walmart Canada. In July, the retailer invited more than 550 kids and 350 parents to participate in the first-ever Great Big Toy Testing Event, which gave kids and parents the opportunity to play with more than 100 toys.
“This event is one more way we can speak directly to the customer and create a two-way dialogue,” added Anthony. “As a company, we’re going to continue to find innovative ways to interact with our customers and truly be thedestination for toys and licensed products.”
To support the launch of the top toy list, the retailer is issuing a Top 20 Toy catalogue which includes product information and testimonials from participants at the Great Big Toy Testing Event.
The Top 20*
- Hot Wheels Wall Tracks Mega Set – was $59.92 on Rollback $46.86
- ROXX Skullz Game – was $17.93 on Rollback $14.93
- Star Wars Ultimate FX Lightsaber – was $42.92 on Rollback $35.88
- Rocktivity Sit to Stand Music Skool – was $52.94 on Rollback $39.83
- Stand-Up Ballcano – was $49.97 on Rollback $38.88
- Jake’s Bucky Pirate Ship – was $54.94 on Rollback $45.87
- Thomas And Friends At The Ironworks Play Set – Everyday Low Price $39.94
- Animal Adventure Learning Table – was $49.97 on Rollback $29.83
- GoGo My Walking Pup – was $69.94 on Rollback $52.77
- Lazer Tag Single Blaster Pack – was $38.92 on Rollback $32.86
- Barbie Sisters Go Camping w/Dolls – was $98.77 on Rollback $78.73
- Butterscotch Pony – was $124.94 on Rollback $88.88
- Disney Princess Cinderella Transforming Pumpkin Carriage – was $74.94 on Rollback $67.82
- Thomas and Friends Steam ‘n’ Speed RC Thomas – was $59.94 on Rollback $45.78
- Beyblade Destroyer Dome – $44.92
- Crayola Crayon Maker – was $32.96 on Rollback $20
- Orbeez Soothing Spa – was $34.97 on Rollback $29.86
- Marker Airbrush – was $25.96 on Rollback $19.47
- Furby – was $69.97 on Rollback $52.77
- Rocktivity Walk and Roll Rider – was $49.97 on Rollback $39.83
(*In stores only. Conditions may apply. Selection may vary by store.)
In addition to the company’s everyday low prices and Rollback pricing, Walmart Canada has a commitment to match prices through their Ad Match program. Under this program, Walmart Canada will match the advertised in-store retail price of any local competitor for an identical product purchased at a Walmart Canada store (Some conditions and limitations apply. Full details can be found in store.).
Walmart has also revamped its toy department, introducing new signage in the toy department to make it easier for customers find the perfect gift. In addition to the aisles being colour-coded blue for toys preferred by boys, pink for toys preferred by girls and yellow for toys that are not gender-specific, the retailer has also introduced new overhead signage.
For more gift giving ideas, check out Life’s a Blog 2012 Holiday Gift Guide